Monday, October 20, 2008







I just got back from a week in Denver with a group of students from school. We were on "Alternative Fall Break" which is a trip dedicated to learning about social issues and providing service to different organizations. We studied poverty, homelessness and social/environmental justice. We went to many organizations that are doing amazing things to help the community. The most memorable for me was the Women's Bean Project. Check it out, because it was an amazing experience! We also focused on art, and graffiti as public voice. We visited a place called The Spot where kids from the community could go after school and have an opportunity to learn art. There was some amazing graffiti on the walls! I took a few photos for a class assignment on color as abstract form. We talked with a couple of guys that have worked there for the past few years about the amazing things that the program does for the kids. I was heartbroken when they told us that they were being shut down because of lack of funding just the next day. So we got to see the place and learn a little about it, right before they closed. It's tragic that programs like this one that are doing so much good for young people are the first to shut down when funding gets low. Stupid economy!

1 comment:

blacktealeaf said...

I love love love Maureen, oh yes I do.
I love love love Maureen, but that you knew.
Ooh Ooh she gives me hugs.
Hugs, hugs hugs but never bugs.
MM MMM MM MMM...(insert tune)